Our metal straw pack is available today for a donation of $10 or more.
1. For most, straws are not a necessity, but a convenience. Single use plastics wreak havoc on wildlife and the earth.
Help us break the cycle of causing unnecessary harm and damage in the name of "convenience".
2. Due to its chemistry, nothing in nature can make plastic biodegrade.
Plastic breaks down into microscopic particles that release toxins when ingested by the same fish we eat everyday. Let's keep plastic out of our food chain.
3. Essentially, remnants of every piece of plastic ever made are in our environment right now.
The working life of a plastic straw is just a few minute yet they remain on earth for centuries, releasing toxic chemicals into our soil and water.
4. Marine animals constantly mistake plastic in the ocean for food.
With bellies full of plastic debris and no room for food, over 100 million marine animals die from starvation per year. What would our oceans be like without marine life?
5. Each time we use a plastic straw, we are harming the environment as well as ourselves.
Toxic chemicals that leach from plastic straws are found in human blood and tissues. These chemicals are linked to cancer, obesity, birth defects, impaired immunity, and endocrine disruption, to name a few.
6. Studies predict that by 2050, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish by weight.
Approximately 4.5 million pounds of plastic ends up in the ocean each year. Straws are among the top 10 items found during beach clean ups - they harm seabirds, turtles and other marine life. Let’s stop mindlessly harming precious wildlife.
7. In the US, the amount of straws we use in one year could fill up the yankee stadium 9 times.
What a waste - all of them end up in landfills or in our beautiful oceans after just one use!
8. Americans used about 500 million plastic straws every day - that’s enough to circle the earth 2.5 times!
The average person in the US will use roughly 40,000 plastic straws in their lifetime.
9. There is more microplastic in the ocean than there are stars in the Milky Way.
Time is running out. What simple changes can you make to limit single use plastic waste?
10. If Morristown pledges to skip the straw, together, we can save over 11.5 million straws each year from entering our oceans and harming precious wildlife.
How Can You Reduce the Impact?
Sustainable Morristown is raising funds this holiday season by collection donations of $10 or more. With each $10 donation you get a pack of metal straws. The pack contains both a straight and bent straw, a cleaner as well as custom Sustainable Morristown carrying pouch.
The pack makes the perfect gift for the holidays for anyone!